The AthTech conference series aims to help Athletics move forwards, with a strong focus on sports data management and interoperability among stakeholders (federations, event organisers, clubs, timekeeping providers, training-devices makers, data experts, journalists, among others). European Athletics has been working on a digital strategy for the sport, building a common infrastructure to guarantee universal interoperability among all stakeholders. This strategy will be presented and enhanced through the different interactive sessions, strategically organised to cover all challenges proposed by the attendees.
This conference is open to anyone interested in any topic related to technology and sports.
what happened in 2017 in Portugal,
and in 2018 in Spain.
Shape the future of Athletics
Any and all technologies relating to Athletics are candidates for discussion. We hope to bring the key people
together, so that federations, firms and individuals can see what is available, and also pool resources to
build better solutions together - where possible, driven by shared Open Data and Open Standards.
The conference will focus on sports data management in general, including:
- Competition management data;
- An open reference database for the sport;
- Data visualization;
- Streaming solutions;
- Sports statistics;
- Data processing;
- Timekeeping technologies;
- ...and whatever related to technologies + sports.
We're also extremely fortunate to have both a university and a sports centre, with 4 competitions during
the conference week; so if anyone needs meeting rooms for workshops, or wants to demo interesting
technology 'in action', we can easily include this in the programme.
Check the agenda and feel free to send us your suggestions. The program will evolve between now and the conference.
Standards for Athletics
Standard infrastructure for Athletics data management will enable a common mechanism to gain effectiveness and efficiency in the process of collecting and sharing data on a global scale. We will be able to:
- federate resources in an automatic way;
- establish universal identifiers for athletes, clubs, and other entities;
- access better reports;
- track competition issues, and records;
- have centralised up-to-date rankings;
- create and publish live results;
- create new services and products on top of the data.
The common Athletics infrastructure follows the open data paradigm, encouraging the publication of data in standard formats and under permissive re-use licenses. This will bring us successful services and innovative products —made by federations or by third parties— that will affect the sport in a positive way.
AthTech is open to anyone. Among the attendees there will be:
- Athletics federations;
- data management experts;
- event organisers;
- training-device makers;
- sports clubs;
- sports services providers
- sports enthusiasts, and others.
You are invited to present your experiences on competition management (how information is collected during a competition, how entries are registered, how/where results are published, etc.). Individuals with the skills and energy to contribute to the sport are welcome.
We aim to keep the conference costs low so that everyone can participate:
- Basic conference fee: € 125 per delegate (€100 + Croatian VAT)
- Accommodation (blocks of rooms reserved already by organisers, quote "Athtech" when booking directly):
- Hotel Kolovare - 4* hotel walking distance from all events and old town: € 120 (60 per person) double occupancy with breakfast; single occupancy € 85.
- € 40-50 in the Zaton seaside resort hotel 15min away.
- We expect you will want to stay Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights to cover the main programme, but maybe longer.
- Croatia also has an extensive private accommodation industry and Zadar is a major destination; it will be easy to rent apartments, just after the regular tourist season.
- Week-long street food festival; low cost lunches in university cafeteria; numerous cafes, bars and restaurants in old town where
outdoor dining will be the norm
The current policy of the Croatian government, confirmed by the local organisers, is broadly that people should
have proof of vaccination, or take a test. Full details are here.
The organisers will comply with all local public health guidelines during the conference.
We are very confident the event can now go ahead, since participants are known in advance. However, anything is possible and if there is a change
in the situation and local authorities advise that the conference can not happen. In this situation the organisers
will attempt to refund what they can, after deducting reasonable costs incurred.
Registration is via the OpenTrack Entry System. The fee is € 125 payable on card during registration.
This is a competition entry system, so please understand if it feels a little unusual for a conference! However previous attendees and most European Federations have logins.
Feel free to contact us in case you have any questions.